Papua high prosecution disappointed over release of five Australians PDF Afdrukken

Jayapura (ANTARA News) - Chairman of the Papua High Prosecution Office Widya Pramono expessed disappointment over the Papua High Court's decision of freeing the five Australians who had entered Indonesia without the necessary documents.

"In this context we have filed a request for an appeal, and called for a ban on the Australians from leaving Indonesia until the case had been settled," Widya Pramono said here Friday.

He said that on January 15, 2009, the Merauke district court had issued a different sentence on the five Australians.

The court had sentenced four Australians to two years in jail and a fine of Rp 25 million.  They were  Vera Scott Bloxom, Karen Burke, Hubert Hofer and Keit Rowald Mortimer, while the pilot  Hendri Scott Bloxom was sentenced to three years in jail and a fine of Rp 50 million, for flying a plane without a security clearance and flight approval.

The Australians arrived at  Merauke airport on September 12, 2008, by a small V-68 aircraft piloted by  Hendri Scott Bloxom from  Horn Island,  Australia.

The Papua High Court in Jayapura in its decision No  3/PID/2009/PT.JPR dated March 5, 2009  ordered the five Australians to leave Indonesia by the same plane.

But the Papua district court's decision cannot be carried out because the prosecution filed an appeal to the Supreme Court.

Right now the five Australians are still in Merauke, Papua.